There are times when you want to connect with someone through FaceTime, but they're unavailable. iOS 17 offers a solution: record and send FaceTime video messages. Let's explore how to do this in a few easy steps.
Recording and Sending FaceTime Video Messages
- Initiate a FaceTime call:
Begin a FaceTime call as you normally would. If your call goes unanswered, your screen will show several options - Call Again, Close, and Record Video. Tap on "Record Video."
- Start Recording:
A countdown will appear before the recording starts. To jazz up your video message, hit the Pause Button and then the Effects icon at the bottom. This allows you to apply filters, stickers, shapes, Memojis, and more. You can even overlay text on your FaceTime video message.
- Cancel the Recording (Optional):
If you decide you don't want to continue the recording, you can tap on "Cancel" at the top of the screen.
- Switch Camera Views:
Use the camera flip icon in the bottom-right corner to switch between the front and back cameras.
- Record Your Message:
Once you're ready, tap the Shutter icon to record your message.
- Finish Recording:
After recording, tap on the Stop icon to finish.
- Review Your Message:
If you want to review your recording, tap the Play icon. If you wish to add something or start over, tap on "Retake."
- Save Your Message (Optional):
FaceTime also lets you save the recorded message. To do so, tap on the "Save" option in the top right corner.
- Send Your Message:
Finally, tap the "Send" icon to send your video message.
Watching and Saving Received FaceTime Video Messages
If you receive a FaceTime video message, you might want to watch it again later or save it. Here's how:
- Open the FaceTime app:
On your iPhone or iPad, open the FaceTime app.
- Open the Message:
Tap on the Video Message notification, then hit the Play icon to watch the video.
- Interact with the Message:
Depending on what you want, you can message the sender, give them a FaceTime call back, or save the video for later by hitting the "Save" button.
How to Add Special Effects to FaceTime Video MessagesInitiate Video Recording:
- Tap 'Record Video' on the unavailable screen.
- An automatic countdown will begin. If you need more time, tap the pause icon to halt the countdown.
- Once the countdown ends, FaceTime will enable video message recording.
- Tap the flower icon to open the effects menu.
- Fitness: If you're using an Apple Watch, overlay fitness stickers such as move goals and medals.
- Memoji: Opt to use your Memoji for the video message instead of your real image. This feature is exclusive to the front camera.
- Filters: Enhance your video with various lighting mode filters.
- Text: Annotate your video message with custom text.
- Shapes: Incorporate preset shape stickers into your video.
- Stickers: Add Memoji stickers or avatars to your recording.
- Live Stickers: Boost the fun factor with your personalized Live Stickers.
- Emojis: Sprinkle emoji stickers throughout your video message.
- Third-Party Apps: If you have apps that are compatible with FaceTime, their stickers can be incorporated as well.
- After applying your desired effects, tap the 'X' icon to confirm and save them.
- Tap the portrait icon if you wish to introduce a bokeh effect, which blurs the background for a professional look.
- Tap the red shutter button to begin your video message recording with all the chosen effects in place.
Who can leave you a FaceTime video message?
If someone has your phone number, they can drop you a FaceTime video message, even if they're not in your contacts. Keep in mind, this opens the door to potential spam or unwanted messages. If you run into this, blocking those numbers is your best bet.
Is it possible to send only an audio message through FaceTime?
At the moment, FaceTime doesn't offer a straightforward way to send audio-only messages. But a simple trick is to cover up your camera, speak while recording a blank video, and send that.
Now you're equipped with all you need to know about recording and sending FaceTime video messages on your iPhone with iOS 17. This feature not only helps you stay connected but also adds a personal touch to your communication.