Understanding how to locate the serial number of your AirPods can be a crucial task, especially when dealing with warranty issues, or verifying if your device is genuine. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to find the serial number of your AirPods, AirPods Pro, or AirPods Max.
On iOS or iPadOS
- Make sure your AirPods are in your ears and connected to your iPhone or iPad.
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap on 'Bluetooth'. Alternatively, you can tap on the name of your AirPods.
- Find your AirPods in the list (for example, "John's AirPods Pro").
- Tap on the More Info button (represented by an 'i' symbol) next to your AirPods to see the serial number.
If your device is using a software version earlier than iOS 14 or iPadOS 14:
- Go to Settings > General > About.
- Scroll down until you see the name of your AirPods, then tap the name to see the serial number.
- With your AirPods in your ears and connected to your Mac, click on the Apple menu at the top-left corner of your screen.
- Select 'System Settings'.
- Find and select your AirPods (for example, "John's AirPods Pro") to see the serial number.
On Your Device
The serial number can also be found printed on your AirPods or their charging case.
AirPods or AirPods Pro: Your AirPods and your charging case share a serial number. It's located on the underside of the lid of your Charging Case, Wireless Charging Case, MagSafe Charging Case, or Lightning Charging Case.
AirPods Max: If you have AirPods Max, you can detach the left magnetic ear cushion to see the serial number.
With AirPods (2nd and 3rd generation) and AirPods Pro (1st and 2nd generation), each AirPod also has its own serial number, printed on the AirPod itself. However, for service purposes, you only need to refer to the primary serial number, printed on the case lid.
On the Original Packaging
If you still have the original packaging, you can find the serial number next to the barcode. The serial number can also be found on the original product receipt or invoice.
Verifying the Authenticity of AirPods
You can verify the authenticity of your AirPods by checking the serial number on Apple's website. Here's how:
- In your web browser, navigate to Apple's coverage checking tool.
- Find your AirPods' serial number. This can be on the box or by going to Settings > Bluetooth > tapping the 'i' next to the AirPods name on your iOS device.
- Enter the serial number into the tool, complete the CAPTCHA, and click 'Continue'.
- If the tool returns information for that serial number (especially a valid purchase date), the AirPods are genuine. If not, you may have spotted fake AirPods.