All leather goods at Geometric Goods are made from vegetable-tanned leather, and here is why
Vegetable tanning of leather is a process of transformation of raw hides into the leather using natural tannins extracted from trees. During a long period of time in full respect of man and the environment, using wooden drums, modern technologies, and machinery, this astonishing process leads to the creation of premium quality material.
Among the various tanning methods, the vegetable tanning is still nowadays the most traditional, the most recognizable, the only one able to give leather unique characteristics. It is able to join comfort and look, fashion and tradition, uniqueness and versatility of the product.
Vegetable-tanned leather absorbs the traces of our life, it matures without ruining.
Choosing a product made of Vegetable-Tanned Leather means choosing a one-of-a-kind object that reflects the owner’s lifestyle.
Vegetable-tanned leather does not contain any toxic substance harmful to man and is highly tolerable for those who suffer from metal related allergies.
The vegetable-tanned leather productive cycle is strictly monitored to ensure a low impact on the environment:
- No animal is killed for its skin. On the contrary, the raw hides used by our tanneries are the discarded by-products of the food industry producing meat for human consumption.
- Being tanned with natural tannins, a vegetable-tanned leather object can be easily disposed of at the end of its life, thanks to its chemical-biological characteristics.
- Our tanneries have made huge investments in depuration systems and waste recycling that make them work in full respect of man and the environment.
- Many of the substances used during the tanning process are recovered, recycled and reused in different fields. Hair removed from raw hides is transformed into agricultural fertilizer; sludge produced by the depuration plants is reused in the construction field to make bricks.
- Vegetable-tanned leather, recognizable from its trademark, does not contain any toxic substance such as azo-dyes, nickel, PCP or chrome VI
Finally, those consumers who care about product’s quality and environmental protection have a reference trademark when they buy their leather products!
Advantages of vegetable tanned leather:
- is eco-friendly, as made by chromium free method;
- colors and textures have a more natural and organic look;
- it is irregular and handmade which can be leveraged for a unique and genuine aesthetic;
- high durability and strength, being even far more efficient than the majority of the synthetic materials;
- neutral effect on user's health;
- can last an entire lifetime and/or is bio-degradable when it ceases to be used/maintained;
- remarkable and sought-after aging qualities, like the "caramelization" of the color, a unique patina acquired with the use;
- created by craftsmen with a historic and valuable knowledge;
- it can only be obtained from cattle that carried a good life, to get a good, strong leather, and it is always a sub-product of the meat industry;
- values a slower life and an eco-sustainable industry;
- it's the only leather that allows carving or tooling.